Happily "Lost at Sea"

Life on the sea changes people: In four days, I've completely lost track of the date and time. Twice, we've set our clocks back and now I am more confused than I was yesterday. My iPhone and Mac are supposed to automatically update the time, but they are not keeping up with our “fast pace.” We seem to be averaging 16 knots or approximately 18 MPH in landlubber talk. 

This is our fourth full day at sea and it's the first day with relatively calm water; the temperature has warmed up to 68 degrees and I can see puffy white clouds outlined by blue sky. This is also the fourth day I've sat in the Coffee Connection and worked on my art. I am enjoying this uninterrupted time

On Sunday, I met an artist from Nova Scotia. Not only is she great company, she's very talented, We've become art buddy's offering each other encouragement and suggestions. It's fun sharing a table with her. When we start working, it looks like an art studio, the area is cluttered with all of the supplies we've both brought. 

Speaking of clutter, we had resolved to organize our closet and drawers before we reached Honolulu. However, that task seems too daunting for two adults who are in relaxation mode. Maybe we'll get the job done after the Hawaiian Islands...or not.

I want to comment on “the hangers.”  Many of you were interested in feedback on the wisdom of bringing the space saving, velvet hangers. The hangers have many pros and a one con. I had ordered 50 hangers from Amazon. Since they are space saving, I assumed I could easily stack them in a suitcase. The reality is, the hangers are cumbersome and they took up a lot of space in our last suitcase. We were running out of “real estate” so I left 10 at home and brought only 40 hangers to the ship. Our suite closet was generously outfitted with an assortment of wood hangers, I couldn't envision using all of them and was tempted to have our stewardess remove most of them. That would have been a mistake. We used all of our hangers and most of Regent's. The velvet hangers do save space and our clothes are not sliding off. They are a “thumb's up” and a great addition to the closet.

We thought we had packed lightly....or maybe moderately....I know we did not over-pack and yet, every possible space in our suite is filled with clothing and art supplies. This means I can't do any shopping on this voyage.  That is simply not realistic!  Who can resist the markets in the Middle East or the art glass store in downtown Auckland? I will consult with our helpful stewardess, Angel, for storage suggestions. Our friends had two canvas storage units brought to their suite and they provide eight drawers of extra space. 

Regent has been all about being accommodating: 

I asked to have the bathrobes removed from the closet as they are big, gorgeous, fluffy space hogs. Done! 

I requested that the expresso machine be removed, along with the assorted coffees to create extra counter space. Done! 

I requested that the shower controls be fixed because I could not wrestle the device to turn on the water. An entire new mechanism replaced the faulty old one. Now, turning the water on is a breeze. Done!

Laundry has been sent for cleaning and pressing. It returns on (more) hangers or folded neatly in a reusable gray box, wrapped in tissue paper and sealed with a gold “R” sticker. Done!

We've received gifts from Regent. Lapel pins to mark our status as Regent guests, as well as pins to mark the 2020 World Cruise. Both are safely ensconced in the safe so that they don't get lost. I struggled to find space in the closet for our fabulous new raincoats and t- shirts. Both are embroidered to signify the World Cruise; they are very classy looking. I'm not wishing for rain, but know that we'll look very handsome in our rain gear when the inevitable happens

Aloha Honolulu ….see you Friday morning!

Please enjoy some photos taken by our very talented friend, Dee Pacifici, when he was in and around San Francisco! 








 Japanese Garden at Golden Gate Park.
















9 comments

  1. I always quite enjoy not knowing what day it is and see it as a sign that I'm in "cruise control"! I'm glad you've reached that lovely state of mind so quickly and look forward to learning how *not* to shop ;-) (Good luck with that )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leave the hangers with Regent when you leave... then you'll have room in your bags for new goodies, just saying. When there's a will, there's a way, as they say - whoever "they" are. Glad you're relaxing and enjoying! Great pics, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, you can probably divest yourself of stuff for the return trip. Also interested in the raincoats. Are they windbreaker/squall-type jackets? I'm wondering if this means we don't have to bring our windbreakers on next year's WC. Enjoy your art!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the raincoats look like they could stand up to wind and squalls. I'll take a photo and share on my next blog post. Thank you!

      Delete
  4. About my "state of mind" we actually arrive in Honolulu tomorrow, Thursday, Jan 30th. If I had to conduct important business today, I'd be worthless. Oh, Gilly, I will shop! That's a given! "Unknown" offered great advice. I will be ditching the hangers for space in the suitcase! I'll pass along the compliment to Dee...thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just FYI … "unknown" is me - Denise. Maybe I need a pseudonym??? I knew you could grasp the concept of less hangers is better hangers ;)

      Delete
  5. I asked this question on CC hoping that someone other then you and Lana, who are already spending a good bit of time blogging, would answer. Since no response I thought I shoot you some Gala questions while fresh on your mind. Was the dress a step up from what you regularly see on Regent? I imagine the highlight is having a great meal meeting old and new friends. Did anything else stick out pre embarkation? Did you arrange your own transportation to the ship or go with the crowd? I am really enjoying your blog, taking notes for 2021.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you are enjoying my blog, Lisa. Thank you! Regarding the Gala...it was a lovely event....from the beautiful setting, to the delicious food, open bar, outstanding service and really terrific band. It was a great "kick off" party. Since we have a home in the Bay area, we drove to and from the city for the party and slept in our own beds that night. Our family took us to the pier on embarkation day. Regarding dress for the evening, I thought it was quite typical for Regent guests. It ran the gamut of suits and ties to sport coats and open collared shirts for the gentlemen and cocktail dresses or slacks with nice tops for the ladies. Open seating during dinner with name/place cards that indicated our preference for meat or fish. I hope this gives you more insight, but I know our situation was unique and doesn't reflect what most guests experienced.

      Delete
  6. Loving your blog - we don't go on a WC until 2022, but are so glad to follow along with you. I may burst with excitement before we ever board!!

    ReplyDelete